Hardware Electronics Engineer Opportunity
Our Brand Values
RIDGID tools are used in some of the most demanding environments around the world by millions of demanding customers every single day. Building the next generation of these great products requires an Engineering team that values quality, innovation, agility, and collaboration.
What We’re Looking For
We are looking for creative, self-directed individuals who have an aptitude for electronics and firmware, who enjoy collaboration, who love working on innovative products, who want to learn and share, and who want their work to make an impact.
In particular, we are looking to hire a Hardware Electronics Engineer to join our Engineering Department and help strengthen our competency in the areas of smart, connected tools and power electronics. RIDGID has a bright future in this space and is looking for motivated individuals to help us design and build the next generation of technology-enabled products.
We need individuals who can evaluate new technologies and sensors, and design electronics modules and circuit boards. The Hardware Electronics Engineer needs to be hands-on to make full use of RIDGID’s Electronics Lab and prototyping capabilities.
We are looking for team players who want to collaborate in a cross-functional environment to design and build new tools and innovative solutions that meet or exceed our customers’ expectations. Other team members regularly consist of Mechanical and Software Engineers, as well people from the Sourcing, Marketing, Quality Assurance, and Manufacturing teams.
If you have a strong interest in electronics, connectivity, the “Internet of Things” (IoT), brushless DC motors and motor controls, and want to play a vital role in the future of one of the most trusted brands in the business, then you’ll be a great fit!
Why Are We Hiring a Hardware Electronics Engineer?
RIDGID’s portfolio of connected products continues to expand, and so does our need for Electrical Engineers. Connected products require an in-depth understanding of the technologies involved; not only from a capabilities perspective, but also from a size, durability, and cost perspective. With the proliferation of mobile apps and cloud-based solutions, we’ll need to stay in-tune with connectivity solutions like Bluetooth, cellular, WIFI, etc. The same is true for battery and motor technologies, which continue to become cordless, more compact, and powerful.
We’re looking to hire a Hardware Electronics Engineer who can do the hands-on activities of an engineer, but can also help move our connected tools strategy forward.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create electric and electronic designs for new products using state-of-the-art technology
- Evaluate and select electronic components and technologies that best solve customer needs
- Assist in supplier selection for PCBAs and electronic and electric components.
- Collaborate with the Software Engineering team in designing electronics solutions and communication protocols that enable mobile apps or cloud solutions (e.g. via Bluetooth, WIFI, or cellular)
- Conduct concept or feasibility studies of new ideas on control logic and other electronics applications. Determine technical principles, assess technology matches, and establish basic design criteria to deliver electronic hardware solutions for new and existing tools.
- Design circuit layouts, select components, and build PCBA prototypes for proof of concept models that meet technical specifications and cost targets.
- Perform cost analysis and cost estimates of proposed PCBAs.
- Select or specify motors for powered tools.
- Closely work with battery manufacturers to define specifications for batteries and chargers. Develop battery test procedures and test fixtures, and conduct qualification testing.
- Develop test plans for electronic circuitry, and perform qualification testing including functional testing, life testing, and stress testing; EMI and IEC testing.
- Drive projects to timely completion by close collaboration with other functional team members.
- Bachelor’s degree (BSEE) from accredited college or university required.
- Related experience in product development of electro-mechanical products desired.
- Experience working with Bluetooth/BLE, WIFI, or cellular-enabled products.
- Experience with firmware development.
- Experience with PSoCs and different microcontroller architectures.
- Familiarity with reflow soldering.
- Familiarity with PCB Design software like ProTel, OrCAD and CADStar.
Perks and Benefits
- Matching 401k and Defined Contribution
- Holiday Bonus
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- RIDGID tool loaner program
- Employee discounts
- On-site fitness center
- Tuition assistance
- Short/Long Term Disability
About the RIDGID Engineering Team
Our team is primarily located at our Corporate Headquarters in Elyria, OH. RIDGID also has Engineering teams in Asia and Europe.
The Engineering Team at RIDGID develops tools that give our customers the edge over their competition. Our customers are more productive, due to our products being more reliable and best-suited to their applications. Recent examples of our new-to-market products include the B-500, the first transportable tool for the fastest and most accurate bevels on pipes, and the PEX-One, a battery-operated tool specifically designed to make fast connections on PEX tubing.
The engineers at RIDGID take on the overall technical responsibility for the product, not just for a small portion or component. Our engineers also talk regularly to customers to learn about their needs and challenges first hand. If you feel you are up for this challenge, we need you to reach out to us!
A Little More About RIDGID
RIDGID® (www.RIDGID.com) is a business unit of Emerson (www.Emerson.com), a Fortune 500 company that supplies engineered solutions around the globe. We sell RIDGID branded tools, services and software in over 140 countries to meet the high expectations of expert tradespeople who install, operate, diagnose and maintain the world’s infrastructure. We have a dynamic, collaborative, growth-oriented culture that creates solutions tailored to address specific needs of these demanding customers.
Imagine being surrounded by intelligent, driven, and passionate innovators all working toward the same goal—to create groundbreaking solutions that leave our world in a better place than we found it. Emerson is a global technology and engineering company providing innovative solutions for customers in industrial, commercial, and residential markets.
How To Apply
Just send your resume to [email protected] and indicate that you are interested in the Hardware Electronics Engineer position.