Lead Developer Opportunity
Here at Emerson we believe in an agile development methodology and constant team collaboration. Our teams are passionate about working together to solve challenging problems for our customers and our business. Our software is used by millions of customers worldwide; therefore, we value quality and agility so we can effectively bring new features to market. We encourage growth via challenging projects, team exercises, training, developer conferences, and other technical community involvement.
What We’re Looking For
We are looking for creative team members who love to develop software. We want to work with people that make learning and teaching others a fundamental part of every day. We expect our engineers to be curious about how they can apply technology to make a meaningful impact to our customers.
In particular, we’re looking to hire a Lead Developer who is interested in playing a lead technical role in designing and building large-scale web applications. If you are a software developer who loves working in an agile environment and who enjoys web development, databases, and working with other people of various disciplines then you’ll be a great fit!
What is a Lead Developer and Why Are We Hiring One?
Lead Developers at Emerson are senior-level developers who participate in full-stack development of enterprise-grade software. This includes everything from responsive front-end development all the way down to architecture, database design, unit testing, and DevOps.
Lead Developers are also the primary technical point of contact for their team. They work directly with Product Owners and customers to understand and solve problems – usually via software. They also have accountability for their team members’ onboarding and mentorship.
While engineers here are exposed to many different aspects of development, everyone is given opportunities to grow in areas that interest them most. For some it is UX design and front-end development, and others it might be API design and back-end development. Lead Developers are seldom given a directive on how to solve a problem. They are hired to be leaders and work with other leaders to design and deliver the best solutions for our customers’ needs.
Emerson recently acquired Textron’s Tools and Test business including several major professional tool brands. This acquisition brings with it a stream of exciting and high-impact software projects. Team El Toro Potatoes needs a Lead Developer to be able to support the demands of the new, broader portfolio of brands.
About the First Team You Will Join
Team El Toro Potatoes a team of full-stack .NET developers responsible for developing our highly visible, public-facing www.ridgid.com website which is used by millions of customers worldwide. The team also develops a rich set of tools and services for managing relational product data used across many different systems including mobile applications, the web, product catalogs, and more. More recently, the team has been tasked with onboarding our new Professional Tools businesses onto the Emerson platform to provide a more integrated brand experience.
The team practices TDD, DevOps, and applies agile methods. We are always looking to adopt new technologies that can help us improve the customer experience through development practices and technologies. Some of the technologies we currently use include ASP.NET MVC 5+, Web API 2, .NET Core 2, ASP.NET Identity Server 4, C#, Microsoft Azure, Git/GitHub, SQL Server, NoSQL Databases, Google Analytics, TeamCity, NUnit, Moq, Entity Framework, CloudFlare CDN, Redis, and more.
The development team is located at the RIDGID Corporate Headquarters in Elyria, OH. Members of the cross-functional team include several developers, a UX Designer, and numerous Product Owners / customer representatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with Product Owners/Customers/Project Managers to understand and solve customer/business problems via software
- Participates in all aspects of the development process including design, development, testing (or better yet – TDD!), code reviews, deployments, etc.
- Works as the key technical point of contact for the development team
- Mentors and onboards other developers, or ensures that these activities are happening within their team
- Ensures overall team effectiveness and quality of work by leading stand-ups, one-on-ones, and team building activities
- Enhances the online experience of our customers through the development of snazzy web applications
- Investigates and implements new technologies where appropriate
- Works with a cross-functional team to integrate the newly acquired Professional Tools businesses via custom web development and APIs
- Informs managers as a major input into performance management process
- A propensity for communication, collaboration, and mentorship
- Experience with relational databases and .NET ORM tools like Entity Framework
- Experience with consuming APIs
- Experience with unit testing
- Experience with agile software development
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Responsive Web Design
- Orchard CMS experience
- Willingness to share personal technology interests with teammates
- Network Infrastructure, Security, Identity Management
Perks and Benefits
- Matching 401k
- Holiday Bonus
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Wellness programs and on-site fitness center
- Two weeks of paid Parental Leave for the secondary caregiver
- RIDGID tool loaner program
- Short/Long Term Disability
- Work-sponsored attendance to conferences like Codemash and StirTrek
- Board gaming sessions
- Access to Pluralsight for online training
Imagine being surrounded by intelligent, driven, and passionate innovators all working toward the same goal—to create groundbreaking solutions that leave our world in a better place than we found it. Emerson is a global technology and engineering company providing innovative solutions for customers in industrial, commercial, and residential markets.
Our Emerson Automation Solutions business helps process, hybrid, and discrete manufacturers maximize production, protect personnel and the environment while optimizing their energy and operating costs. Our Emerson Commercial and Residential Solutions business helps ensure human comfort and health, protect food quality and safety, advance energy efficiency, and create sustainable infrastructure.
A dynamic environment is what you’ll discover at Emerson, a Fortune 500 company with $14.5 billion in sales and 155 manufacturing locations worldwide. Together, we’re changing the world, and we have all the resources to help you achieve your professional goals.
Whether you’re an established professional looking for a career change, an undergraduate student exploring options, or recently received your MBA degree, you’ll find a variety of opportunities at Emerson. Join our team and start your journey today.
How To Apply
Just send your resume to [email protected] and indicate that you are interested in the Web Developer position.